Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Still More Reviews


Sprague Mansion (see below)

I'll have to do a review roundup soon for the Montgomery biography, but you can scroll down on this blog to see links to all that I'm aware of. Here's one I've linked to on other social media, but not yet here, from Military Review, the professional journal of the U.S. Army, by Richard A. McConnell, which he graciously sent me. 
And here is J. Daley from the Civil War Book Review, which I first saw on Twitter today. While I'd characterize all the reviews so far, including this one, as broadly positive, Daley's does have a few pointed criticisms which prompted me, perhaps unwisely, to fire off a tweet in response.
Meanwhile, I've been addressing Civil War Round Tables from Binghamton, NY (where I found some interesting IBM retirees) to Newton, NJ, with the highlight being a stop at the Sprague Mansion last month to address the annual dinner meeting of the Rhode Island CWRT. That's the birthplace of William Sprague IV, most famous in my view for a disastrous marriage to Kate Chase. (Next up is a Zoom presentation Sunday evening to the Westchester County, NY, CWRT.)
On the Rhode Island trip I also got to stay overnight at the old Providence house of -- and go out on the town with -- Mark and Annette Dunkelman. Mark is himself a Civil War author, and a country musician.
My Montgomery book, the reissued paperback biography of Gordon Granger, and the still-in-print Grant novel would all, I presume, make excellent Christmas gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media

  Apologies for light posting lately on this blog. I fear, as you can see above, I've been seduced by X (formerly Twitter), where you ca...