Friday, May 31, 2024

Dart on Dart

 

I mentioned Clarence Dart on this blog a couple of years ago, and on Memorial Day this week I snuck away from my volunteer duties at Grant Cottage to attend a talk given by his son Warren, a retired schoolteacher and coach from Saratoga County.

Dart senior, a pillar of his Saratoga Springs church and community after the war, was a Tuskegee airman. He survived 95 combat missions in Europe in World War II, and was shot down twice. He later worked as a draftsman for General Electric Co. for 37 years, in Schenectady and at KAPL in Niskayuna.
African-American troops first served (in significant numbers) in the US military during the Civil War, when they were in segregated units. That segregation remained in place through World War II.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Here and There

 The bride and I are on a mini 40th wedding anniversary trip to Vermont, which includes my book talk tomorrow (Saturday Sept. 14) on Junetee...