Wednesday, May 2, 2018

The Problem of Publicity



Four years ago, Diana O'Brien, portraying the poet Emily Dickinson, and a goofy-looking Bob Conner flanked the actor Treat Williams on the porch of Grant Cottage. I'd just given him a tour, and Williams was thinking about playing Grant on screen. I don't think he's done that yet, but in 2016 was reportedly writing a play about the general.
Last Sunday, my novel The Last Circle of Ulysses Grant (which, the author's note will inform you, started out as a play) was mentioned in this Gazette article on historical sites in the region, and I'm told they will cite it again regarding book talks and so forth. But they apparently won't be running a story/review like The Saratogian did.
While I enjoyed working with a small press, and appreciate that I did not have to pay anything to get published, the big problem is getting the word out to people who might be interested. There's not a lot of spare money to scatter the seed of review copies on stony soil, although if any potential reviewers -- say a  Civil War periodical -- want one, they should contact me or the publisher.
For my previous book, I gave a lot of talks, pretty much saturating the general area where I live. For the new one, I've focused more on this blog, although I do have a talk coming up June 1 at the Northshire book store in Saratoga Springs, and will be at a Grant Cottage-sponsored event in Wilton in August
Meanwhile, since I haven't heard from Lin-Manuel Miranda, maybe I should try to find out if Williams would be interested in picking up a copy.





3 comments:

  1. Would you like me to arrange some gigs in NJ? Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I'd prefer if you found a way to send this link to Treat Williams or his agent. He is on Twitter, as is my daughter, so maybe I should ask her.

      Delete
  2. I can't find an email contact on your blog. How can I contact you to ask if you would review a series of Pre-Civil War books? Thanks. Katherine Steiger

    ReplyDelete

X'ing (aka Tweeting) Prewar Kansas