Saturday, September 14, 2019

Erastus Corning and Mark Twain

The most famous Corning Tower is the Albany skyscraper, the centerpiece of Empire State Plaza, which is named after Erastus Corning 2nd, the long-serving 20th century mayor of Albany. But the city of Corning in the southern tier is named after another Erastus Corning, steelmaker, banker, politician and railroad king, whose son, also named Erastus, built a monument to him there 11 years after his death.
The original Erastus, like many New York Democrats, had an ambivalent attitude toward the Civil War, but prospered by it. His spendthrift son did not serve in the war. The son's grandson, for whom the Empire State Plaza tower is named, did serve in World War II. He later betrayed his constituents and benefited his own insurance company by letting Nelson Rockefeller build the Plaza on which his Tower stands.
Not far from Corning, NY, is Elmira, where on the graceful grounds of Elmira College sits the Mark Twain Study, a building which used to be attached to Twain's summer home nearby. Twain wrote most of his best work there, free from distractions. Olivia Langdon was from a wealthy abolitionist family in Elmira, graduated from Elmira College in 1864, and married Samuel Clemens in 1870. Clemens (Twain) famously deserted from a Confederate militia company and wisely avoided most of the Civil War by Roughing It out West, where he laid the foundation of his literary career. He is a character in The Last Circle of Ulysses Grant.
Tw study

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I have been married for about 7 years now. We were happily married with two children, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago I started to notice strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I discovered that my husband was seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he doesn't care about me or the kids anymore, sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come home for about 2-3 days. I did everything I could to correct this problem but to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. One day when I was surfing the Internet, I came across a website that suggested that Dr. Padman could help resolve marital problems, restore broken relationships, and so on. So I felt like I had to give it a try. I contacted him and he made a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to see me and apologized for the wrongs he had committed and promised to never do it again. Since then, everything has returned to normal. My family and I live happily together again. All thanks to Dr. Padman. If you need a spellcaster capable of casting a spell that really works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. Here is his email:

    padmanlovespell@yahoo.com or (info@padmanspell.com)

    https://twitter.com/padman_dr .

    WhatsApp +1 949 229 386
    website: https://padmanspell.com/index-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s obvious some patients with HIv are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not cure it permanently. I have been with the virus for years until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr James Herbal Mix Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was cured of HIV/AIDS. All thanks to this Great Dr James, for healing me I've seen the great importance and effectiveness of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on surgery, injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including Bipolar,Rosacea,Psoriasis/ Shingles, Lupus, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,aSyndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes. herpes,Cancer,Vaginal burning, diabetics, asthma,EBV, HIV, hepatitis,Enlargement, etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was Cured of hiv and my aunt and her husband were cured from Cancer by the same Dr James who uses natural herbs and roots extracts to cure different kinds of illness. Even Dr James proved to the whole world countless times that natural herbs can cure all kinds of diseases and he cured countless people using natural herbs. I know it is hard to believe but am a living testimony. He prepared herbal medications and sent it to me through DHL COURIER SERVICES and I took it as he instructed. 7 days later after the usage of his herbal mix medicine , I went to the hospital to do a checkup, the result came out and I was NEGATIVE. There is no harm in trying herbs, it will cure you from any diseases you are suffering from, so why don't you give herbs a try and see its effectiveness..Dr James herbal mix medicine it's easy to drink with no side Contact Dr James on Email .... drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com..

    ReplyDelete

X'ing (aka Tweeting) Prewar Kansas