Tuesday, July 24, 2018

In Memoriam

Yesterday, the 133rd anniversary of the death of Ulysses S. Grant, the cottage was closed, as usual on Monday. Our annual Remembrance Day was held the day before. (I did not go, but was giving tours the day before that, Saturday.) Monday was, however, marked by a cheerful pot-luck dinner at the visitor center, attended by my fellow volunteers and some staff and board members, at which I won this memorial album produced not long after Grant died.
 It has pictures from his youth and childhood,
and depictions of Grant the soldier,
the politician,
and various others.
 The booklet reminds me of a couple of pictures hanging on the walls of our house, one an 1869 photo of President Grant and associates in Saratoga Springs, which I was given several years ago at the cottage,

and the other a copy of a May 1864 illustration of Lincoln and Grant given to me many years ago by my wife Barbara, with whom I first visited the cottage in 1983 when we were not yet married, and were greeted by caretakers Suye and Tony Gambino.

Then there is this other image from Mount McGregor, turned into the cover of a book:







No comments:

Post a Comment

X'ing (aka Tweeting) Prewar Kansas